Garden Robin

Garden Robin

Friday 3 April 2015

First Tree Bumble Bee of the Year and Nesting News



I saw my first Tree Bumble Bee Queen of the year yesterday. No chance of a photo as it was whizzing at great speed round the patio either looking for nectar or a nesting site so this is a photo I took a few years ago.


Last year this species nested in our roof (much to our neighbour's horror - I had to go to great lengths to explain that the bees aren't aggressive and would only be around for a few months.)



Blue Tits are still investigating the nest box in the Whitebeam although no sign of any nesting material being taken in yet. This particular nestbox has a camera.

Robins are nesting in a holly bush and, less welcome, Magpies have decided to build a nest in one of the Silver Birches in the wooded area at the top of the garden. I appreciate research has shown that there is no evidence that Magpies are to blame for declines in song bird populations but I have to admit I find it very distressing when I see them raiding garden nests and carrying off young birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment